Scotland is one of the countries that make up the United Kingdom. It was once an independent country until 1707 when it unified with England because King James VI of Scotland became King James I of both England and Scotland after the death of Queen Elizabeth I.
- The world’s first infant school was opened in this country in 1816.
- The small town of Bonnybridge has become the UFO capital of the world with more than 300 reported UFO sightings annually.
- The first city in the world to have its own fire brigade is Edinburgh.
- The 1995 box office Hollywood movie Braveheart directed and starred by Mel Gibson was based on the life story of William Wallace, a 13th century Scottish warrior who led the Scots in the First War of Scottish Independence against King Edward I of England.
- The first International Association Football games was played in Patrick, Scotland in 1872; and,
- Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads in the world.
Scotland is famous for its Scotch whiskey and the kilt worn by Scottish men. However, the former was invented in China and the latter originated in Ireland.
The Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park (as shown on the postcard) is a national park in Scotland that consists of many mountains and lochs (lake). Its main attraction is the scenery and the wildlife. Tourists can do walking, camping, cycling, climbing, mountaineering, loch cruising and many other activities.